Employer Pages: Externship Program
Step 1 of 3: Please read the following, then click the link below.
The Externship Program's Purpose:
The purpose of the Externship component of National Holistic Institute's (NHI) curriculum is to provide Massage Therapists-in-training with a learning environment that:
- nurtures job search skills.
- prepares them to take their role as caregivers in the community.
- provides service to the community at large.
Student Extern Prerequisites
Prior to beginning their externship at each site, our Massage Therapists-in-training will have:
- successfully completed on-site massage training.
- worked with the public for over 32 hours in NHI's Teaching Clinic.
- learned basic anatomy, physiology and kinesiology courses with an understanding of the "Universal Precautions" as set by the Centers for Disease Control.
The extern is required to complete a total of 72 hours throughout their program. The extern's class schedule allows for a set amount of time each week to complete these required hours. A schedule of specified hours, and a consistent schedule for work with your organization should be agreed upon prior to your arrangement with the student. The schedule will be pre-arranged to satisfy the needs of your organization as well as the student's school schedule. The student will be well-versed in what it means to be a professional caregiver and will agree to abide by your organization's policies and procedures with regards to offering massage therapist jobs.
All students of NHI are covered by professional liability insurance - while performing supervised Externship Massage Therapy services. A certificate of insurance will be provided upon successful completion and approval of the Externship Contract.
Go to Step 2, The Externship Contract:
"I did a lot of research, coast to coast to find a school with the most comprehensive bodywork program and NHI was it. Now I've been offered a paid position at my Externship site and my private practice is growing with several regular clients."
– William Power, NHI Graduate